TIPS: Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon
Choosing a surgeon is an important, life-altering decision. There are several guidelines to follow and important questions to ask to ensure that you choose the best possible surgeon in your area. Over the past twenty years the cosmetic and plastic surgery industry has grown at an incredible rate. While procedure costs have become more affordable for all patients, the number of specialists and surgeons has risen to a very large number. So how does one choose the right cosmetic surgeon for their procedure? How do you know a good surgeon from a bad surgeon? Or a good surgeon from a great surgeon? Below are some tips that may help in your research process and some helpful questions to ask when visiting a surgeon for a consultation.
- In the ideal situation your surgeon to be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. This certification should serve as an indication that the surgeon has had extra training in the field of aesthetic plastic surger and has earned their degree from a reputable medical school.
- If your surgeon has privileges to perform their surgeries at an accredited hospital it is another indicator of quality and reputation.
- You should ask to see before-and-after photos of patients who have undergone cosmetic surgery with the surgeon.
- Ask your surgeon for a list of patient references. Compile a list of simple questions to ask each of the surgeon's clientele. Are they happy with their surgery? What type of surgery did they have? Did they need revisions? Do they have excessive scarring?
Questions to Ask a Cosmetic Surgeon
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- Do you have hospital privileges to perform this surgery?
- Where will you perform my surgery?
- How long will my surgery take?
- How many procedures of this type have you performed?
- Do you have training certifications?
- What are the risks involved with the procedure?
- What is the expected recovery time for my surgery?
- How should I prepare for this procedure?
- What is your policy on surgical revisions?
- How much will my surgery cost?
- Is this price comparable to your competitors?
- What does this price include?
- May I see before & after photos from past patients of the surgery I'm considering?
- May I have a list of patient references?
Copyright Find My Surgeon 2005-2006